The majority of hams sold in supermarkets really aren’t frozen. They’ve been refrigerated so that they are ready to eat. Hams, on the other hand, freeze quite well! When hams are on offer, buy one or two and freeze them to eat whenever you like! The one and only key are to make sure that ham is thawed safely. The timing will vary based on how you melt.
How Long to Thaw a Ham
The Refrigerator, cold water, and microwaving are all safe methods to defrost ham. It’s preferable to prepare ahead of time for a gentle, safe defrosting in the fridge. These approaches are time-consuming. Each one takes a different amount of time. Let’s have a look at them.
How Long Thaw a Ham in the Refrigerator
This method is the quickest way to thaw a ham, and it also requires the longest, therefore, plans. Give four to six hours for frozen ham per pound you wish to defrost in the Refrigerator. Estimated times for frozen ham to thaw in the Refrigerator:
- Five pounds – one day,
- Ten pounds – two days,
- Fifteen pounds – three days.
Ham that has been thawed in the fridge can be stored again for three to five days before cooking.
How Long to Thaw a Ham in Cold Water
In water, you can thaw your refrigerated ham considerably faster. However, in comparison to fridge thawing, the procedure will necessitate a lot of attention from you. The following is an estimate of how long it will take to defrost frozen ham in cold water:
- Five pounds – two and a half hours,
- Ten pounds – up to five hours,
- Fifteen pounds – approximately seven and a half hours.
How Long to Thaw a Ham in Microwave
Assuming the frozen ham is light enough. Also, you’re running out of time; defrost your ham in the microwave. Cook your ham in the microwave for three to five minutes and serve immediately.
How Long to Thaw a Ham in the Pan
If you don’t have any other options, you can just chuck your ham into the pan. This isn’t the best method, but it’s what we’ve got. Time to defrost your ham in the pan directly from the freezer:
- Five pounds – ten to twelve minutes
- Ten pounds – twenty-two to thirty minutes
- Fifteen pounds – up to an hour.
What You Didn’t Know
- Should your situation change and you decide not to grill the ham, the ham thawed in the fridge can be securely refrozen in 3 to 5 days.
- If you defrost your ham in cold water, you must cook it immediately as it’s entirely thawed.
- Once you thaw the ham using the microwave, you must cook it right away after it has softened.
Ham is one of the most delicious forms of protein. This item, in particular, is both versatile and cherished by all. Thawing ham in the Refrigerator is the best method to follow. However, if you weren’t planning on using it anytime soon, now you know the estimated duration of thawing frozen ham. So, best of luck!
You can also read: How to Thaw Cooked Shrimp