If you buy salmon or any other sea-fishes from the market, there is a high chance that it will ultimately come frozen. While this is great for you in the long run, you must know how to thaw the salmon properly.
If you have any queries about thawing salmon for your dinner tonight, this could be the best place to get your answers from.
How Long Does It Take to Thaw Salmon?
Generally, it takes around 12-24 hours to thaw salmon.
While you will defrost salmon, do note that if the salmon is not thawed correctly in the safest manner, it could carry a lot of bacteria with it.
There are three methods for safe defrosting. These are:
The following steps are the guidelines you can follow to defrost the salmon using this method:
- Remove the salmon from the freezer more than 12 hours before you need to cook it. This is because the fish will take about 12 hours overall to defrost, depending on the pounds of weight it has. If the fish is over 1 lb, you might need to defrost it for over 24 hours.
- Remove the fish from the container it is in and wrap it in a thin layer of plastic foil.
- Place the fish in a bowl and place the bowl inside the refrigerator with a temperature set at 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Make sure that the bowl is kept away from other food in case the smell spreads.
- After the fish has defrosted, it is ready to be cooked as you like it.
If you can’t stand to defrost over such an extended length of time, like when you are defrosting over your refrigerator, this could be the next best option for you.
- Remove the salmon fish from the freezer for at least 30-60 minutes before cooking it.
- Place the fish in a plastic airlock bag or zip-lock bag. Then place it in a bowl full of water. Make sure that the fish is completely submerged into the bowl.
- Change the water every 30 minutes. Make sure to rotate the position of the fish while you are at it.
- You can remove the fish when it has thawed since it is ready to be cooked now.
If you do not have much time in your hand, you could defrost the fish in your microwave oven, but only as a last-ditch effort.
- First, remove the salmon from the wrappers and place it in a bowl on top of paper towels.
- Cover the fish with paper towels and defrost them inside a microwave oven. While there might already be an option in the range, you could check the manual to find the timing requirement and set it up manually.
- After the fish is defrosted, you should check whether the fish is tender or if there are any more water particles present.
As it takes 12-24 hours to thaw salmon, you should take it out of the freezer with plenty of time in hand. Make sure to properly defrost it before you start cooking. Hope you’ve learned everything you needed to know for thawing salmon.
You can also read: How to Thaw Frozen Bread?